More on the piece Joy, experimenting with an Irish Slide rhythm...

The saga continues! I was challenged by this same musican/performer to notate my piece as a Slide, in 12/8 with equal subdivisions of 3,3,3,3.  So I googled what Irish Slide means, and listened to some examples. I've played a fair amount of Irish fiddle music, but I don't think I'd ever played a slide before, so the research was illuminating.

Next I took my piece Joy and re-wrote it as a slide, although I'm not following the form as strictly as I should. 

Here's what the first 2 measures look like:

 

 After playing it through, I do think it has a cute feel to it, and it rips right along, which is one of the points of a Slide, from what I can tell!

However, it is a very different piece now, compared to my original Joy.

Fun experiment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Actually opened Sibelius today

Surprised by changes from minor to major when composing harmony line for “Grant”

I need more memory!